The Importance of Security Software for Computers

by Klaus on July 13, 2011

in Articles, Virus

Security is an important issue with computers these days because of the overabundance of virus and malwares that threatens not only the operating system, but also your files.  Viruses and malwares are practically being released on a daily basis that you would want an excellent antivirus program to protect your computer.  However, choosing an antivirus program for your computer is never easy as most of them promises to be the best protection for your computer.

There are quite a number of antivirus programs available today.  There are free antivirus programs and there are paid antivirus programs.  Although free antivirus programs are fairly capable when it comes to protecting your computer, they are never really as capable as compared to the paid types.  One such paid type antivirus is the Norton Antivirus.  This antivirus has been around since the early 90s and has gained recognition in the industry to be among the best antivirus programs available.

An antivirus program is considered to be among the best if they are able to purge and create antivirus definition files within hours upon the release of any threat.  In addition, they need to be able to positively detect a threat from those that are not, so as not to make any false detection.  This is what makes paid security software to be ahead of free types because they have a group of people who fine tunes and test their program for any bugs and glitches.  Paid security software makers also employ an elite team of people who are working 24/7 to find any potential scripts being released that threatens the integrity of computers.  Free security programs do not need to do such as you cannot expect much from something that is free.  Although they will be able to write definition files that will be able to counter such threat, they are not in a hurry to do such and will likely be a day late to release their definition file update.

Overall, security software is important for any computer as this helps to protect it against viruses and malwares.  If you want a higher level of security, you may want to look into paid antivirus programs.  However, if you are on a budget and don’t want to dish out some money, free security programs are nevertheless capable enough to provide you with adequate protection.

Related articles you might find interesting:

Comments & Leave a Comment

comments

{ 28 comments… read them below or add one }

karan@digital world July 13, 2011 at 19:01

i use malware and spyware programs only that too not on auto protect:D
karan@digital world recently posted… Hide Secret Messages In Twitter, Facebook Updates!!!

Alan Tay July 14, 2011 at 03:58

What I can obviously see in the paid security software over the free security software is that the paid usually provides good support in terms of phone, email, ticketing or even messenger type. Free security software can only rely on community forum as part of their support and at times, those answers can be very personal and not 100% true facts from the supplier. As a conclusion, I do feel that a normal home user can stay with free security software but corporate or working environment should always use a paid one.
Alan Tay recently posted… Get Your Google+ Invitation Pass in 4 Simple Steps

Sridhar July 16, 2011 at 21:57

I was using Avast Free edition from last couple of years, no problems with this. This is good at protecting from malware and viruses.

DJ ARIF July 17, 2011 at 06:31

I’m using AVG Internet Security 2011 Original…Security Softwares are must to have a neet and clean computer…..

Ellie Kenon July 18, 2011 at 09:43

the fact that people still run their pc’s online with no anti virus is mind boggling to me. not only can everything on your computer be destroyed like music and pictures but you can pass it on to your friends and family and risk their important files. i have all my daughters baby pictures on the pc and where as we have printed out many of our favorites i would really hate to lose them all because someone else was too stupid to protect their PC.

tressa knight April 8, 2013 at 12:33

privacy comes on the first point now a days how we get and what the cost will be the second aspect..there are so many malicious codes which are ready to grab our personal information so its really better to be on the safer side…not 100% but atleast 85 % thanks mate
tressa knight recently posted… Dr Anirvan Banerjee | Private ENT Specialist

Robin July 18, 2011 at 13:41

I am using K7 and it is a paid software. I have tried a few free software earlier but with the paid one I feel much more secure and safe.

Lalit July 18, 2011 at 15:54

I use Norton for the last couple of years and it is quite effective in protecting my PC from viruses and malware. I agree with Ellie that many people still don’t care about the antivirus protection for their computers and do ebanking and share trading on such computers. this practice is dangerous and can not only infect your computer but it can take away your hard earned money.
Lalit recently posted… Samsung Tablet PC Accessories Specification and Review of Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 Full Size Keyboard Dock

india July 25, 2011 at 13:34

I think paid software are as good as non-paid as i am using avg free for lat 2 years and i experienced no problem in my PC so i think they both are equally good and easy!!

Gary Smith August 10, 2011 at 09:22

I had a night mere with Norton never again, slowed my computer right down, im using Eset now
Gaz

Mandeep August 11, 2011 at 09:35

The real problem is that no matter what security software geeks install on their friends’ computers, the people actually using those computers will still do things like click on links they shouldn’t and they will fail to update their security software. Educating end-users will make a bigger security difference than relying only on software.

Norb Winslow September 8, 2011 at 04:28

I would agree with you that Norton is currently the best security software among the rest. If you’re on budget, go for avast or the new AVG 2012! Download some malware removal tools like Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware and Microsoft Security Essentials. Besides, security software alone is not enough, thus we should take some precaution steps to stay our computer virus & threats free!
Norb Winslow recently posted… Norton Has Released Their New 2012 Security Products Today!

Jakk @ Technology Blogged September 8, 2011 at 22:40

Viruses and malware are horrible pests which everybody should be aware of. A good antivirus is essential and I recommend Eset or Avast.

Tim September 30, 2012 at 14:52

Completely agree, a good antivirus is a must for PC users. Windows 8 should be better protected than current offerings however.

Stefan October 14, 2011 at 16:14

Thank you for the post. I am currently using Kaspersky which is about to expire within a few days. I have heard about Trend micro & Bit defender, are they any good?

Jason December 8, 2011 at 08:56

I have had great luck with AVG Free and Microsoft Security Essentials, but I’m not sure which one is best. What would you recommend?
Jason recently posted… Antivirus subscription expired, what do I do???

Radhitya March 30, 2012 at 13:04

I use Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 and so far I am satisfied with its performance. If you’re on budget then try Avast, because many of my friends use this free antivirus
Radhitya recently posted… Backup Software Review

Gary March 30, 2012 at 15:26

I will never use Norton again, slowed my computer down and could not de install it. thanks for the post

Jeff April 13, 2012 at 04:10

Some good free antivirus tools are AVG, Avast and Avira. (All starting with “A” hehe)
I also agree with Gary, Norton really slows down your computer. Also some of the paid antivirus can’t remove trojans and other script based virus.
There are free antivirus, rootkit, malware and trojan removers out there that are specific to a particular virus. You just need to look for them.
Jeff recently posted… HP ENVY 14-3010NR Spectre 14-Inch Ultrabook Review

Kabeltech May 23, 2012 at 16:19

kaspersky is my pledge to secure your computer from viruses, malware and spyware

raynando July 13, 2012 at 17:59

i have already used kis for 1 year and so far i have no a serious problem with my pc, i have ever tried bitdefender but this AV make my pc work slower.as long as i know avira does not take must hard drive resource. without using AV you may have to reinstal your pc once a month

Frank Thomas August 28, 2012 at 16:08

I thing new version of panda security is well famous?

Jeff October 4, 2012 at 15:21

It’s just sad that there are still virus or scripts that even the most popular antivirus could not remove or clean. These type of virus attacks the registry, disables the task manager and hides your folders.
I tried AVG then Avira and now Vipre 2012. So far so good.
Jeff recently posted… WP Engine Coupon Code for October 2012 – Up to 50% Off

Mothi Venkatesh December 24, 2012 at 16:27

In Windows 8 version you can use Windows Security Essentials. Its working great :)

bep tu January 16, 2013 at 02:54

Who should use this: If your business hosts any sort of event, including online events, this tool will be a big help

Pete March 12, 2013 at 07:12

Mhh I should maybe install some… I always just format my hdd when I notice theres something seriously wrong…
Pete recently posted… Ps3 Red Screen of Death Fix updated Sun Mar 10 2013 5:17 am EDT

Aditya Nath Jha March 21, 2013 at 11:33

No matter how good the antivirus, there’s always some new worm or virus which just kills it all!!
Aditya Nath Jha recently posted… Assassins creed 4 – Why you should be excited

jeremy mcdonald April 4, 2013 at 07:08

More we feel secure more we are close to hazardous virus which is just trying to make a place in our systems..Security is a long process of believe and disbelief