Disney is the latest entertainment company to announce a substantial price hike.
The Walt Disney Company launched its own exclusive streaming service named Disney+ in late 2019 for an affordable $7.99 per month with no ads.
However, things will change starting December 8, as Disney will be introducing an ad-supported tier of their streaming service for $7.99.
Meanwhile, the cost of Disney+ without ads shall become $10.99 a month, a 38% increase from its original offering.
There will still be a Disney Bundle with Disney+, Hulu+ and ESPN+, but of course, the price for the bundle will also definitely increase.
Disney Streaming Services – Price Changes
As Disney includes Hulu and ESPN streaming services and other various bundles, the prices can get a bit confusing. Below is a list of what to expect on their price increase.
- Basic (with ads): $7.99/mo
- Premium (no ads): $10.99/mo, $109.99/year
- Basic (with ads): $7.99/mo, $79.99/year (as of Oct. 10, 2022)
- Premium (no ads): $14.99/mo (as of Oct. 10, 2022)
- With ads: $9.99/mo, $99.99/year (as of Aug. 23, 2022)
- UFC PPV: $74.99 per event (as of Aug. 23, 2022)
- UFC PPV + Annual: $124.98/year (as of Aug. 23, 2022)
Disney Bundle plans
- Basic Disney+, Hulu (with ads): $9.99/mo
- Basic Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+ (with ads): $12.99/mo
- Legacy Disney+ (no ads), Hulu (with ads), ESPN+ (with ads): $14.99/mo
- Premium Disney+ (no ads), Hulu (no ads), ESPN+ (with ads): $19.99/mo
Hulu + Live TV plans
- Hulu + Live TV Basic (with ads), Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+: $69.99/mo
- Legacy Disney+ (no ads), Hulu (with ads), ESPN+ (with ads): $74.99/mo
- Premium Disney+ (no ads), Hulu (no ads), ESPN+ (with ads): $82.99/mo
Note that the prices above are for existing subscribers only.
Kareem Daniel, Chairman, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution, said:
“With our new ad-supported Disney+ offering and an expanded lineup of plans across our entire streaming portfolio, we will be providing greater consumer choice at a variety of price points to cater to the diverse needs of our viewers and appeal to an even broader audience.
Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+ feature unparalleled content and viewing experiences and offer the best value in streaming today, with over 100,000 movie titles, TV episodes, original shows, sports, and live events collectively.”
The company made the announcement Wednesday August 10 during its latest earnings call, where it confirmed it gained another 14.4 million subscribers. Currently, Disney+ has over 221 million subscribers, surpassing Netflix for the very first time.
Did you know?
A week before Disney+ was excitedly introduced to the streaming world in 2019, Apple TV+ debuted with a somewhat more subdued buzz and minimal understanding of what exactly it was.
Even though there’s currently a small pool of in-house series and movies, the Apple TV+ streaming service only costs $4.99 per month, with a 7-day free trial. Customers can also enjoy three months free when they buy an eligible Apple device.