The aftermath resulting from a scandalous slap at the Oscars continues for Will Smith.
Along with streaming giant Netflix, Apple TV+ has dropped out on its bid for acquiring the rights to a Will Smith biopic that was being peddled around. The biopic was based on his best-selling autobiography. According to a report from The Sun, the companies have now set their sights at projects from other black actors.
“Netflix and Apple+ have quietly removed their bids for a Will Smith biopic and will instead relocate the funds and develop original ideas from new black actors.
Working with Will has become a risky business. They now plan on developing ideas with more family friendly stars like Mike Epps and Michael B. Jordan.”
To make matters even worse for Smith, the biopic is not the only project that took a blow. Production for “Bad Boys 4” and “Fast and Loose” have reportedly been put on hold as well.
“The Academy accepted his resignation but are still pushing ahead with disciplinary proceedings. Smith faces a make-or-break hearing on April 18 where he could be stripped of his Best Actor Oscar for his role in King Richard.
Meanwhile, industry support for the Hollywood star, who broke through in 1990s sitcom The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, is dwindling. Insiders claim development plans for a fourth Bad Boys film have been put on hold, as has Smith’s Netflix project Fast And Loose.”
Apart from the above info, Will Smith is starring in the new Apple TV+ movie “Emancipation”, which has already been finished and is expected to be released later this year, but Apple is tight-lipped on what will happen now to the movie after the incident.
Bad Boys star Will Smith, 53, has been lying low since he stormed on stage in Los Angeles and slapped Chris Rock, 57, after saying a joke about the shaved head of his wife, 50-year-old Jada Pinkett Smith, who in 2018 revealed that she was diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder called alopecia areata, the medical term for hair loss.
Now the star is believed to be staying at a high-end US sanctuary after resigning from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Stepping down last week, he said his actions were “inexcusable”. While the Academy accepted his resignation, they are still going ahead with disciplinary proceedings.
Update April 9, 2022
Hollywood’s film academy on Friday, April 8 banned Will Smith from attending the Oscars for 10 years, after the best actor winner slapped presenter Chris Rock on stage at the Academy Awards ceremony 12 days ago.
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences board of governors held a meeting on Friday, a week after Smith had resigned from the group.
Academy President David Rubin and Chief Executive Dawn Hudson said in a statement, “The 94th Oscars were meant to be a celebration of the many individuals in our community who did incredible work this past year. However, those moments were overshadowed by the unacceptable and harmful behavior we saw Mr. Smith exhibit on stage.”
Will Smith said in a statement, “I accept and respect the Academy’s decision.”
Meanwhile, the actor has issued statements apologizing to Chris Rock, the Oscars producers, nominees and viewers.