Summary: Users often ask queries like “Can you Export emails from Thunderbird to Outlook PST?” The answer is Yes! One can easily export Thunderbird emails to Outlook PST. In the article, we will provide you with the best manual method to export Thunderbird to PST. We will also discuss the professional Thunderbird Backup Tool to perform the bulk migration of Thunderbird emails effortlessly.
Mozilla Thunderbird and Microsoft Outlook both are a widely used email client for email management. Thunderbird saves its data in MBOX or Maildir file formats which is not supported by Outlook. It uses PST files to store its mailbox data like inbox, sent, draft, etc. Therefore, while switching from Thunderbird to Outlook users often search for methods to transfer Thunderbird mails to Outlook PST. Before we move ahead, and discuss the solutions, let’s look at some other reasons that compel users to switch to Outlook PST.
Reasons to Export Thunderbird Emails to Outlook PST
Some common reasons why users want to export Thunderbird to PST are mentioned below.
- When users want to switch from Thunderbird to MS Outlook.
- Thunderbird does not have an inbuilt calendar and task feature, users need to install an extension for the same.
- By storing the data in PST file, users can easily access the data even in offline mode.
- Outlook offers a simple and interactive GUI as compared to Thunderbird.
- The data saved PST files are more secure and easy to share.
After going through the reasons, let’s discuss the solutions to the frequently asked query “How do I save my Thunderbird email client to PST?”
DIY Method to Transfer Thunderbird Mails to Outlook PST
The Manual method to export Thunderbird emails to Outlook PST can be a tricky process and requires good technical knowledge. We have to perform the migration process using the Gmail account. The process is broken down into 4 parts, they are-
- Enabling IMAP in Gmail
- Configuring Thunderbird with Gmail
- Moving the Thunderbird emails into the Gmail account
- Re-configuring the Gmail account with MS Outlook
Step 1: Enable IMAP in Gmail
- Log in to your Gmail account.
- Go to Settings in the top-right.
- Select See all settings.
- Go to the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab.
- Scroll down to IMAP Access and click Enable IMAP. Save Changes.
- Now, click on your profile and choose Manage Your Google Account.
- Go to the Security Tab and enable 2-step verification.
- Return to Security, click on 2-step verification, and generate a new App Password.
- Choose Mail as the App, click Create, and save the 16-digit code. Press Done.
Step 2: Configure Thunderbird with Gmail
- Launch Mozilla Thunderbird.
- Go to the Menu (three horizontal lines) and click Account Settings.
- Under Account Settings, click on Account Actions.
- Choose Add a Mail Account.
- Enter your full name, and Gmail ID, and paste the App Password.
- Click Continue to let Thunderbird configure the settings automatically.
Step 3: Move Thunderbird Emails to Gmail
In Thunderbird profile, drag and drop your emails to your Gmail folder or use Thunderbird’s Copy/Move feature to move selected emails.
Step 4: Re-configure Gmail with Outlook
- Open Microsoft Outlook.
- Go to the File section>Account Settings>New.
- Provide your Gmail address and select the Advanced options.
- Tick the Let me set up my account manually and click on Connect.
- Choose the IMAP option.
- If prompted, enter the new Gmail App Password and click Connect.
- After the setup is successful, click on Done.
Following these steps, users can easily export Thunderbird to PST. However, this is a tedious process and users can face challenges while performing this method.
Shortcomings of the DIY Method
- It is a lengthy and time-consuming method.
- If not performed carefully, it may result in data loss.
- Users need to be technically sound while performing this method.
- Data alteration can take place.
Automated Solution to Export Thunderbird Emails to Outlook PST
To avoid the hassle of the manual method, many tech experts recommend using the professional Thunderbird Backup Tool. This tool can export Thunderbird to PST in bulk with precision. During the migration process, it helps prevent any data alteration and keeps the data structure intact throughout the migration process. With the help of this software, users can also backup Thunderbird emails to external hard drives in PDF, MSG, MBOX, CSV, and other file formats.
Steps to Convert Thunderbird Emails to PST
- Run the Thunderbird Mail Backup Tool on your PC.
- Select the desired Thunderbird Profile from the drop-down menu.
- Tick the required mailbox data from the displayed tree structure.
- Choose PST as the resultant file format from the drop-down box and choose the other migration options.
- Click the Convert button to initiate the process to transfer Thunderbird mails to Outlook PST.
In this article, we have mentioned the two different ways through which users can export Thunderbird emails to Outlook PST. The manual method is a seamless process and involves a few technical steps. It also does not guarantee accurate results. Therefore, tech experts prefer using an automated solution to achieve the desired results without compromising data integrity.