1. Cutting back on commuting expenses
If you normally commute via public transportation or drive your car to work, you will certainly realize that you will be able to save extra money when you work from home because you will no longer need to lay out for your daily commutation expenses.
2. Food and clothing
Food and clothing are two factors that are crucial for us when it comes to office work. However, if you work from home, you can actually save money on food by preparing your own lunches and eating out less every day. As for clothes, when you work from home, you do not necessarily need those formal and expensive clothes anymore. The beauty of many work-from-home jobs is that you can work even while on your pajamas.
3. Making the most out of that extra time at home
Many people who never experienced telecommuting think that those who are working from home have lots and lots of time to spare. However, that is not exactly true. Those who work from home typically had their time sorted out wisely so they can do their work AND still accomplish many other things to help them save money throughout the day. Below are a few ways how people who work from home can save more money:
- Do some minor home maintenance yourself. Instead of calling every repairman to your home whenever something goes wrong, why not try fixing it yourself first?
- Learn to cook delicious and inexpensive home-made meals. There are many reliable recipes you can use online. This way, you avoid dining out often and your family will definitely appreciate your efforts.
- Shop around online and find the best deals for ongoing expenses such as phone, cable, discount stubs, insurance etc.
Working from home, for most people, typically means getting an extra job from their office or getting another side job that can be totally unrelated to their main work in an attempt for earning more money (so that they can enjoy being debt free or simply experience the feeling of having that extra money on their savings account).
If you have that classic 9-5 day job, you can still opt to try telecommuting part time by managing your time wisely. Who knows, maybe you can make the most out of it and even switch your office work to telecommuting full time in the future.