Avast has a large user community with 129,286,127 active members and 160,577,928 registered users. This helps in quick collection of information about newly emerging malware and the creation of new updates in order to tackle them. With a performance certificate by ICSA Labs and Checkmark certification from West Coast Labs, this software package does an excellent job at stopping viruses, malware and worms.
Avast Free Antivirus offers limited scanning of web traffic compared to the paid version. The paid version scans your system at a greater scale. The core aspects help it compete with the various security suites in the market. The built in antispyware, antivirus real-time shields and heuristics engine play a major role in the protection of your system.
The network, IM (Instant messaging), peer-to-peer and Web Shields help in scanning downloads and shared files extensively. This protects your system from a virus attack. It has a behavioral shield that stops malware from intruding until it receives virus definitions pertaining to them.
The updated version also offers a silent/gaming mode which disables any pop-ups or security notification without compromising your security. The intelligent scanning feature prevents rescanning of files which have already been labeled safe. Automatic updates saves time required for manually updating new virus definitions.
Multiple Scan Options
Scanning options include a Quick Scan and a Full Scan. The quick scan takes around 20 minutes and the full scan takes 59 minutes, with a RAM usage of 16 MB during the scan. It provides details regarding the scanning time and type of files being scanned. Summary graphs help in providing more data with regard to the functioning of your system.
The latest version is now available for free download. It offers improved performance, and the compatibility issues have also been resolved.
In addition to this, features like the Chrome Web Rep plug in, improved boot time scanner, web shield, script shield and behavior shield have improved compared to its previous editions. The free trial version can first be installed, and the full version can then be downloaded at the userís convenience and registered.
Laurels for Avast
The free edition comes with the antivirus software and antispyware. This software has been tested by several independent agencies and has won many awards.
Avast Free Antivirus Recognition
- Avast is ICSA (International Computer Security Association) certified for Windows Operating systems.
- It has been tested and certified by many independent testing companies and online reviews. It has been awarded the VB100 better known as the Virus Bulletin award.
- The Avast Free Antivirus edition scored over other software in detecting viruses from the wild-list and threats which have been unknown so far. It is also known to use the least amount of system resources.
- Avast Freeware edition was rated highly by PCMag site. It got an editorial rating of four out of five stars, for an easy user interface and effective Malware removal.
- It also received a five star rating at CNet for its ease of use, its auto-sandbox feature, and its low impact on boot time and moderate use of system resources while doing a scan.
- Avast Free Antivirus also received a high rating on FindTheBest review site. This site gives an objective rating based on the ratings received on CNet, PCMag and PC reviews.
- Avast Freeware edition was also the editorís pick for great performance by the Anti-Virus kernel, almost 100% detection and an intuitive user interface.
- It was rated as the Best Bet Pick by PC World magazine for providing different kinds of protection against malicious websites, against peer-to-peer attack, and instant message threats.
- Avast has been certified by TUV a German benchmarking and testing company and has consistently been on top of the most-downloaded software lists on various sites like CNet.
It has been rated among the top antivirus software, and the user interface is quite friendly. With so many certificates and awards over the years, it has become a trusted product among computer users worldwide.
Guest post written by: This post is written by Nitesh and he owns a review site where one could find useful software analysis similar to avast antivirus review and avast internet security review which will help get better insight for them.