How can a home user improve their internet security? Here are five excellent ways, to give you a helping hand:
- Use a reputable security firm and utilise their anti-virus software. Norton Anti Virus, from Symantec, is an excellent example which will ensure that anything malicious that should find its way onto your computer system will be found and stopped in its tracks. Always ensure that whatever antivirus software you choose is up to date so that it can reach its full potential to protect your system against the malware.
- Strong passwords are an absolute must, such as non-dictionary words or alpha-numeric combinations. Try to use a different password for each site you need to login to, to avoid your accounts being compromised.
- If in doubt, don’t click on links you are unsure of. It could be an invitation for malware to step onto your computer system.
- Understand your privacy settings on sites, particularly social networking ones like Facebook. Safeguard your accounts so that you are sharing what you want to share and not making your personal information available to everyone on the web.
- Don’t download illegally! Not only is it a criminal offence, but it’s also a sure-fire way of harmful Trojans making their way onto your network.
As a computer user, all it takes is a few simple steps to ensure you’re as protected as possible. Online security is no laughing matter and with the help of companies like Symantec, your network can be as safe as possible from the malware threats.