How can a home user improve their internet security? Here are five excellent ways, to give you a helping hand:
- Use a reputable security firm and utilise their anti-virus software. Norton Anti Virus, from Symantec, is an excellent example which will ensure that anything malicious that should find its way onto your computer system will be found and stopped in its tracks. Always ensure that whatever antivirus software you choose is up to date so that it can reach its full potential to protect your system against the malware.
- Strong passwords are an absolute must, such as non-dictionary words or alpha-numeric combinations. Try to use a different password for each site you need to login to, to avoid your accounts being compromised.
- If in doubt, don’t click on links you are unsure of. It could be an invitation for malware to step onto your computer system.
- Understand your privacy settings on sites, particularly social networking ones like Facebook. Safeguard your accounts so that you are sharing what you want to share and not making your personal information available to everyone on the web.
- Don’t download illegally! Not only is it a criminal offence, but it’s also a sure-fire way of harmful Trojans making their way onto your network.
As a computer user, all it takes is a few simple steps to ensure you’re as protected as possible. Online security is no laughing matter and with the help of companies like Symantec, your network can be as safe as possible from the malware threats.
20 thoughts on “Top 5 Ways to Improve your Internet Security”
Yes one should always buy legit version of antivirus . !! Consider buying rather than grabbing a free one.!! It ‘s totally worth it. ! 😉
Awesome article, You have given great info here, Thanks for sharing this cool article and very useful for everyone.
There is the olny way – use TruCrypt and virtual machine for different projects
Also one basic thing when u use public systems do use private browsing that helps u in several ways !
A few great tips here Emily – while Norton is probably the first name that comes to mind with Internet Security, I wouldn’t rule out McAfee and Intego Internet Security
My experience is do not download anything from the internet. It is safe
I would recommend using TOR, if you really want to know how to become truly invisible on the Internet then do check out “BROWSE ANONYMOUS GUIDE” on my website.
Nonetheless, the tips shared here are extremely useful! Thank you Emily! 😀
Maintaining your privacy and keeping the your data safe do require some efforts initially but it is all worth it. You don’t want to loose your PIN to a pompous hacker!!! Always use a legit version of anti-virus software and not giveaway ones.
Thanks Emily for spreading the word around with help of this post.
Virus comes from downloading but you should be aware of the websites and the file you are downloading and make sure you have the antivirus program updated. Microsoft Security essential is the best one right now for Windows.
awsoem article but i ask a question im use google chrome but so many time my chrome plugin is crash what is problem this is virus and how can i solve this problem give me few tipls pleas im very stress
I think We should have a complete workstation.
Separate system for separate things,
Really nice point you have mentioned, also I want to say something regarding the computer security-
1. Don’t open the email attachment file without scan.
2. If you are not using PC then close the connection and shutdown your PC.
3. Always use updated antivirus and scan your PC time to time.
Another suggestion to surf safer on the internet is to use sandbox technology for your browser. I use Sandboxie myself and it works great. Nothing gets through. Close the browser and all the rubbiesh is gone. You can also use Sandboxie for test installations of programs (even malware).
Useful advices, especially for me, because one of my blogs has been hacked last week…I know I was stupid, I still used the default ‘Admin’ username on my wordpress blog…
Make sure to securely generate and store your web passwords.. It’s a great idea to use LastPass plugin for your web browser.
This article is really what I need. I just got hacked by someone in my facebook account. It’s really important to have security when using internet anytime, thanks for this one.
You’re right Emily! I really need effective anti-virus especially now that I’m working online. I would like to try Norton for a change!
I’m pretty surprised you didn’t list the use of an encrypted VPN as an option. Users who always connect via VPN will see dramatically reduced rates of IP based hacking attempts (which is most of them). Moreover, personal data will always be safe even on public wifi.
These are great suggestions! Thank you for sharing all this helpful info!
Thanks for pointing out that we should make sure that the software we choose is up to date to be able to ensure that they are of full potential to protect us. I will keep that in mind so that my files and device will be safe from any hacking or phishing activities. I just bought this laptop today, and now I want to set it up especially its security. So I hope to buy the best cybersecurity software out there.