The long-awaited Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ have finally arrived and Androids fans are raving. Samsung’s new flagships offer a slew of groundbreaking features, like the Infinity Display, Bixby voice assistant, improved iris scanner and other exciting innovations. Here are 9 reasons why you should make the Galaxy S8 and S8+ your next smartphone.
1. Bixby: The brand-new voice assistant is making its debut exclusively on the Galaxy S8 and S8+. This AI supports almost every task that Bixby-enabled applications are capable of performing, requiring less interaction with the touch interface. Bixby is contextually aware and understands natural language, eliminating the need for set phrases. It also uses an augmented reality lens similar to Google Goggles, which allows for product recognition, geolocation and translation of over 52 languages.
2. Camera: While critics have been quick to point out the Galaxy S8’s lack of dual-lens sensors, its image quality still ranks among the best. The Galaxy S8’s camera has new features like an 8MP front facing camera with smart autofocus, Snapchat-like filters, auto iris scanning and better low light photos. The camera interface is much more user-friendly and taking photos have never been easier. Samsung is even offering free equipment like the Gear VR and Gear 360 through certain carriers.
3. Infinity Display: Also making its debut is Samsung’s new Infinity Display. The bezel-less Quad HD+ Super AMOLED screen makes most of its real estate with a resolution of 2960 x 1440 pixels and offers an impressive 5.8” and 6.2” of pure screen. Samsung has also added Corning Gorilla Glass 5 to both front and back of the flagships for increased durability and protection.
4. Faster Processor: The Exynos 9 Series 8895 processor is Samsung’s first chip built on 10-nanometer FinFET process technology. The Exynos 8895 is an octa-core processor that offers video recording and playback at a maximum resolution of 4K. It also has a separate processing unit for enhanced security solutions for mobile payments that use fingerprint or iris recognition. This new delivers improved performance and efficiency, consuming 40% less power.
5. DeX: Samsung’s new DeX dock turns your Galaxy S8 and S8+ into a desktop with its built-in USB and HDMI ports. Simply plug in a mouse, keyboard and monitor and you’ve got a fully functioning computer. Now you can access to your favorite apps, browse the web, and send messages from a larger display.
6. Battery Life: Samsung is playing it safe with its 3000 and 3500 mAH batteries for the Galaxy S8 and S8+. While still on par with the Galaxy S7’s battery specs, the new Exynos 8895 processor is designed to be more power efficient and prolong battery life—Android fans have yet to complain.
7. Memory: The Galaxy S8 and S8+ offer a standard option of 64GB internal storage and 4GB of RAM. While only the South Korea and China models offer up to 128GB, you can expand your storage up to 256GB through the dedicated microSD slot.
8. Security: The Galaxy S8 and S8+ offer four different methods of security: the traditional password and PIN, fingerprint scanner, facial recognition and improved iris scanner. According to rumors, Apple is planning on incorporating these advanced technologies into the iPhone 8, meaning Samsung is definitely doing something right.
9. Waterproof: As corroborated by Trusted Reviews, the Galaxy S8 and S8+ have an IP68 rating of water resistance up to 1.5 meters for up to 30 minutes. Compare that with the iPhone 7’s IP67 rating and you’ve got a more resilient, water resistant phone.
Samsung’s flagships continue to impress with its cutting-edge innovations and while considering all these points is important, protecting your new smartphone is equally important. With the Galaxy S8 and S8+’s immersive screen, you’ll definitely be needing a high-quality case. Check out Caseology’s collection of stylish, protective cases for the Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+. Their lineup incorporates the latest drop protection technology and is available at an accessible price point.