5G is here and it’s a result of many companies which gave their contribution to make the communication service faster, reliable, and secure.
There are many companies which is working on 5G but from many there are some top telecom companies which is doing extraordinary either by in-house research or making a collaboration. One of them is Samsung.
There are many top achievements gained by Samsung on 5G such as introducing the world’s first ever 5G smartphone with Galaxy S10 5G. The list is long but we would only talk about the major things that makes Samsung top company of 5G technology.
Started researching on 5G in 2011, Samsung has covered a long distance and throughout the journey, it made several collaborations to make its position stronger in 5G.
Samsung’s Achievement in 5G
According to a study on the top 5g players, Samsung is one of the top companies working on 5G since 2011 and got several successes and made several collaborations to make its position stronger.
Here are some achievements which make Samsung a tough competition for other telecoms.
- In May 2013, Samsung had successfully developed the world’s first adaptive array transceiver technology operating in the millimeter-wave Ka bands for cellular communications.
- In Feb 2016, Samsung Electronics and Deutsche Telekom showcased the world first end-to-end 5G demonstration at Mobile World Congress 2016.
- In March 2016, Samsung demonstrated the World first mmWave Multi-cell handover. A vehicle traveling at 25 kilometers per hour was able to move between three transmitters, maintaining a gigabit data transmission.
- In June 2016, Samsung announced the development of breakthrough 5G-ready antenna and power amplifier technologies to enable smaller, more energy efficient 5G equipment and devices.
- In February 2017, KDDI, a Japanese telecommunications company, and Samsung Electronics successfully completed a 5G handover trial – Japan’s first ever 5G multi-cell handover test using the 28 GHz spectrum.
- In February 2018, Samsung had developed the world’s first complete commercial 5G FWA solutions, which includes: commercial form-factor 5G home routers (CPEs) for both indoors and outdoors, 5G Radio Access Network (RAN) comprised of a radio access unit and virtualized RAN, a next-generation core, as well as AI-powered 3D radio frequency planning tools and services.
- In June 2018, KDDI and Samsung announced that they successfully completed a real-time free-viewpoint video streaming test using 5G-supporting devices.
- On Sept. 12, 2018, Verizon and Samsung announced the world’s first successful data transmission using 800 MHz bandwidth of 28 GHz frequency.
- In September 2018, Samsung Electronics America, Inc. announced their support of Verizon’s 5G Home service, which will provide 5G broadband Internet service to consumers in Los Angeles, Sacramento, Houston, and Indianapolis.
- AT&T is working with Samsung Electronics America, Inc. (SEA) and Samsung Austin Semiconductor, LLC, (SAS) to create America’s first manufacturing-focused 5G “Innovation Zone” in Austin, Texas.
- On February 24, 2019 – For the first time ever on display, Samsung showed its new Galaxy S10 5G mobile phone, designed with the best hardware and software to take advantage of the full 5G experience. Also on display is a full spectrum of equipment that helps make wide-scale 5G deployment possible.
- On February 25, 2019, Samsung, Cisco, and Orange unveiled two promising industrial 5G applications – a drone and an industrial robot, at the MWC 19 in Barcelona.
Samsung has Most 5G Patent
Samsung also considers to have the maximum number of 5G standard essential patent, says a 5G patent research study.
This is the list of SEPs declared by ETSI with Samsung placed on 1st position with 183 essential patents.
Not only on SEPs but on the overall number of 5G patents, Samsung comes at the top place with almost 1400 patents. Here is the chart:
Samsung has declared 15% SEPs to ETSI. There could be more SEPs hidden under its portfolio which they might or might not be aware of. Whatever the case, the data here makes Samsung the top 5G company.
Samsung Researched New Technologies to Overcome Telecom Problems
Samsung also one of the companies researching other technologies to solve the problems faced by the telecom industry.
The blockchain is such technologies which have the power to overcome major problems. Many companies are researching blockchain to overcome telecom problem. Among those companies, Samsung is also trying to utilize blockchain to foster the telecom industry.
Subscriber identity fraud is a common problem for telecom companies which makes telecom to lose a substantial amount of money.
Samsung is trying to solve this problem using blockchain and even filed a patent application. Using blockchain Samsung creates a two-way authentication method wherein enterprise network receives a user context record (UCR) and calculates an authenticity score in order to determine the validity of a mobile device; the UCRs are stored in block-chained Merkle trees.
Besides, the three aforementioned pointers there are many things which could work as evidence to prove Samsung’s leadership in 5G. Samsung’s collaboration with top telecom companies also shows that top 5G vendors choose Samsung over other companies. Verizon chose Samsung to provide the world first 5G service in three US cities. The patent data alone is not enough to make the Samsung a leader of 5G but the other things surely help Samsung to make virtually a leader in 5G technology.