Whether it’s for work or grocery shopping, school and even entertainment, everything is now done on the internet.
While spending so much time online may be important, it also exposes you to security threats. As you live on the internet, you live pieces of information about yourself. For example, you need your name and email address to all online services and you have to provide a physical location and even bank and credit card details to get your shopping delivered to your home.
If bad elements of the internet get your details, you will be in so much trouble.
As such, you need a service that will provide some protection from these elements. A VPN, is the best service you can use to enhance your security while on the internet.
What is a VPN?
Virtual Private Network.
A VPN, is an internet service that enables you to make a private internet browsing session from public access internet. Through advanced encryption, your information is routed and rerouted to and through servers in different regions to hide your identity and actual location.
It is a great internet security feature that everyone needs to use while on the internet.
To find out more on VPN use you can read the Mac VPN review on reddit
How to Set up VPN on Mac
Setting up VPN is quite unique. This is because you can use an exclusive VPN service or use the VPN service that is inbuilt in the Mac.
We are going to see how to set up both VPN to enhance security when on the internet.
Setting up the inbuilt VPN in Mac
Here are the steps to follow.
1. On the Apple Menu click on System Preferences
2. On the Internet and Wireless section, click on the Network option
3. On the Network window click on the plus (+) sign on the lower left side to make the changes you need to make.
4. Click on Interface. This will prompt a dropdown from which you will select VPN.
5. Choose the type of VPN you want to use from the VPN dropdown menu.
6. Click on create.
7. You will then get a server address and account name from the VPN service you choose. Fill in the details on your VPN server.
8. Confirm that you want to VPN status to show on Menu bar.
9. Click Authentication settings and enter password provided by your chosen VPN service then click OK.
10. Go to advanced settings to confirm to send all traffic to VPN and click OK.
11. Click Apply to save all changes. Then click connect to power up your VPN.
Now you have set up your VPN connection and you can securely browse the internet. When you are through with your internet session, find the VPN status on the menu bar, click on it and select disconnect to switch it off.
For new sessions of internet browsing, click on the VPN icon on the menu bar and click connect.
Setting up an external VPN service on Mac
You can opt to use any other VPN on your Mac too. Configuring this VPN is also as easy as configuring the inbuilt Mac VPN service.
Here are the steps to follow.
1. Download your preferred VPN to your Mac. You can do this by going to the Apple App Store and downloading the VPN app from there. Or, from the VPN website, download the VPN specific for Mac.
2. Once the download is complete, install the app onto your Mac by following its installation prompts.
3. Open the installed VPN app and create an account to start using it.
4. Click on Allow to add the new VPN to your Mac.
5. You are ready to now start using your newly installed VPN. Your VPN will provide server locations that they could route your location to. Click on your preferred location and enjoy your secure internet browsing session.
It is important to always use your VPN to ensure that you remain safe while on the internet.
Setting up VPN on your Mac is easy. With the two methods, you are free to choose whichever you prefer and to even use them interchangeably. The use of VPN is important for personal internet visits and also for companies who have remote employees. This ensures that sensitive information is kept safe and secure. Only accessed by those who are authorized.