Is your Toshiba external hard drive not showing up in Windows? Want to know a perfect solution to fix the undetected or unrecognized Toshiba external hard drive issue? If ‘Yes’ then don’t panic, because today I am going to add all the approaches at a single place.
Well, this article describes the 5 best techniques that will surely help you out to solve the above mentioned error with ease.
But first, let’s get started with its common reasons…
Why Toshiba External Hard Drive Not Showing Up On PC?
The major reasons behind a Toshiba external hard drive not working are listed below:
- Due to the corrupt or damage file system in an external hard drive
- Missing essential software/hardware updates
- Because of power failure
- Unreadable disk structure
- Unsafe ejection
- Absence of the drive letter
- Virus/malware attack
- Partition issues
- Outdated drivers
- Dead USB port
As you’ve learned the common reasons for unresponsive external hard drive problem, now it’s time to know the best possible ways to Toshiba external hard drive not showing up.
Methods to Fix Toshiba External Hard Drive Not Showing Up
Try out the below given ways one after another if any specific solution doesn’t work for you.
Solution #1: Check The Toshiba External Hard Disk Connection
When you join your hard drive via USB to a PC & fail to see it, firstly try some basic troubleshooting tips to fix an unresponsive external hard drive.
There’re various tips which you can try to check the connection of a hard drive & your PC. So, below I’ve listed the easy fixes, let’s try them.
- Connect your external hard disk with another PC
- Try to use another USB cable to join your Toshiba hard drive
- Use an original cable to attach your Toshiba hard drive
If these fixes won’t work for you, then proceed to next one.
Solution #2: Run Troubleshooter
You can run the hardware & device troubleshooter to solve the undetected hard disk problem. To run this Windows utility, follow these steps:
- First, open Settings >> Update & Security option.
- After this, move to the troubleshoot tab.
- Then, scroll down & choose Hardware and Devices from a right pane.
- Click on Run the Troubleshooter option.
- Wait until the identifying process finishes.
- Once the scanning process gets finished, Windows will list down all the detected issues.
- Lastly, choose the issue that you want to repair & click on Next.
Solution #3: Check & Repair The Toshiba Hard Drive
If your Toshiba external hard drive isn’t detectable in the Windows Explorer, then you can check it in a Disk Management. Here are the easy steps to check it:
Step 1: Firstly, type the disk management in a search bar to open it.
Step 2: Make right click on an unallocated space, then select the “New simple volume” >> “next“.
Step 3: Choose the volume size, then again tap on “next“
Step 4: After that, assign the drive letter & path then, move to the “next”
Step 5: Hit on the “finish” button
Step 6: Now, you need to wait until the process finishes and click on the “finish” in a Window “new simple volume“.
Solution #4: Boot The PC Into Safe Mode
Restarting the computer into Safe Mode can also help you to solve Toshiba external hard drive not showing up issue. To do so, you need to follow the instructions mentioned below:
- First of all, open Settings menu & go to the Update & security.
- Then, click on the Recovery option >> Advanced Startup >> Restart Now.
- Once your PC loads up, the startup options appear where you’ll be able to choose the Safe Mode.
- When your computer is in the Safe Mode, you need to connect your Toshiba hard drive & check whether the stuff are accessible.
Solution #5: Format Toshiba Hard Drive
Last but not the least, if all the aforementioned methods fail to fix Toshiba external hard drive not showing up problem, then you need to format your Toshiba drive. As formatting the hard drive will prepare your storage device for initial use.
However, to format the Toshiba external hard drive follow the beneath steps:
Step 1: At first, go to desktop & then open My Computer/This PC.
Step 2: Then, make right-click on a hard drive & click on the Format option
Step 3: Next, set the file system: FAT32, FAT, NTFS according to your need
Step 4: Now, click on the Start, you’ll see one warning Window then click on OK to start the formatting process.
Note: Before formatting the Toshiba hard drive, do no forget to keep a backup of your vital data.
So, these are the solutions which you can try to fix an unresponsive external hard drive…
To Sum Up
If your Toshiba external hard drive not detected, then try the above mentioned solutions to fix it. However, if none of the resolutions help you to repair “Toshiba external hard drive detected but not accessible“, then send your drive for manual repair. Apart from theta, you can also replace your Toshiba hard drive if it’s still in warranty.
Thanks for reading my article…
Guest article written by: Alex Watson