Best techniques to Protect Your Computer from Viruses

by Guest Author on May 4, 2012

in Guest Posts, Security

Nothing is 100% virus proof but by taking the following precautions, you can help reduce the risk of your computer being infected by a virus that could do significant damage.

Microsoft offers a feature for Microsoft Windows users through their Microsoft Windows Security Center/ Protect Your PC Site which can help you enable the essentials for computer virus protection that came preloaded with Windows.

In general it is important to know that the basics for computer virus prevention that you need are:  an internet firewall, antispyware software and antivirus software.

It is also important to keep up with all updates for your software.

Windows Live OneCare is a virus prevention service that offers a 90-day free trial.  It provides a firewall, virus scanning, antispyware, file backup and restore capability and PC performance tune-up ability.

One of the best ways to protect your computer from viruses is to download files only from websites you trust.  When you need to download a file and you don’t know the website source well enough to trust it then you can download it on to a removable source like a thumb drive rather than onto your hard drive or load your programs in an isolated space which prevents them from making permanent changes to other programs and data in your computer.

Don’t open suspicious e-mail messages, messages from unknown sources, or unknown files.  Often this is easier said than done if you have many people you may get messages and files from but do your best to only open email messages with a subject line that makes sense to you or you are expecting especially if you don’t recognize the author.  All email has a junk email filter but this will not protect you from viruses generally speaking.

Install antivirus software which can scan your system, looking out and eradicating viruses on a recurring footing. Leaders in antivirus software merchandise for Windows systems are Norton Antivirus, McAfee, Kaspersky Anti-Virus and PC-cilin.

Keep updating your system time to time, and also control on access by setting password.

PC Tools, Super antispyware, Avast, and Malware bytes are all popular virus stoppers.  All of these programs have versions which you can download for free.

Guest article written by: Joel Cordle is the Marketing lead at www.ideadesignstudio.com is a product development firm that specializes in top-of-the-line design work for inventors. If you have any question on how to get invention help just contact Idea Design Studio.

Related articles you might find interesting:

Comments & Leave a Comment

comments

{ 17 comments… read them below or add one }

Scott May 4, 2012 at 18:38

Ignorance is one of the problem why our computer get easily infected by a virus. We must educate ourselves about the do’s and dont’s in the internet; in this way, we could protect our computer. Sometimes, knowledge is a better prevention than buying expensive software. Nowadays, a lot of viruses, malwares, and spywares spread around the internet that may steal or destroy our vital data that just in the computer but as well as in the mobile phone.

Rashmi Sinha @ TechInitio May 5, 2012 at 00:54

I totally agree with your points. Even though there are so many users using the Internet only a few of them protect themselves efficiently against viruses. Having a retail antivirus program is a top priority, but watching where you click is as important as antivirus.
Rashmi Sinha @ TechInitio recently posted… Google Pagerank Matters:- TechInitio is PR2!

Jack Sander May 5, 2012 at 09:50

I got my computer infected several times and I’ve learned my lesson. I never open suspect e-mails or download applications from sites with a bad reputation. In addition I update my anti-virus software on a regular basis, even if I know there don’t work every time and we have to prevent issues as well.
Jack Sander recently posted… Storage shed plans

David May 5, 2012 at 11:13

I have had my share of virus to. You can do a lot of prevention but the virus makers are always working to stay one step ahead it seems/

Nikolay May 6, 2012 at 08:32

If you are using a free antivirus get AVG or Avast. If you are buying just get the best – Norton Internet Security. You can try Norton for 30 days before getting it. I just realized recently that I need to protect my banking and paypal information better so I switched from avast free to Norton Internet Security 2012. For now I am with the trial, but on Monday my 1 year key is coming :) . I also update Windows regularly and the browser too.
Nikolay recently posted… How To Deal With Spam In Skype?

Michelle Royo May 6, 2012 at 15:15

I often get emails coming from my friends email addresses containing links alone and no messages. I don’t open them. I can’t believe some hackers still pick up where the love virus left off. I have Avast Free on my computer and things seem fine but I don’t think Avast is enough actually to fight malwares cause I just broke my wi-fi driver for no reason. I blame it to virus. What do you think?

Thanks for the great post!
-Mitch
Michelle Royo recently posted… check this out

Shane Ryans May 6, 2012 at 22:58

Thanks for the great tips. It has become harder and harder to protect your computer from viruses.
Shane Ryans recently posted… Why keyword negatives are important

Aasma May 7, 2012 at 08:30

Nice tips no doubt about it. Online security and privacy is big concern now a days and you can easily ensure it by using updated anti-viruses for your system. Avoid visiting on suspicious and doubtful sites. Don’t open spam box mail as it’s one of the easy way to infect your system.
Aasma recently posted… Inventory Software Systerm

Emmi Rinalin May 7, 2012 at 08:57

Well I guess this is a really good technique to be followed…. I am not sure how much effective this will be….
Emmi Rinalin recently posted… Xbox 360 Cable: How to get Started With Xbox System

Kate Brown Wilson May 7, 2012 at 10:58

Hello there thanks for sharing this great tips for us to follow and to protect our own computer from different kinds of viruses, I am just wondering can I use this techniques in my laptop, because I am worry that sometimes it suddenly slow down, is it infected by a virus?

Mark May 7, 2012 at 12:47

Unfortunately a PC protection depends only on our experience. Users learn everyday something new about viruses and antiviruses everyday)))
I think that the best way is to update antivirus program regularly and not to visit doubtful resources
Mark recently posted… New v.6.0 Classified Software Release

Laura May 7, 2012 at 13:45

Ever since I use Linux, my computer virus issues had reduced to minimum! :) Great tips!
Laura recently posted… Today’s balance: awesome experiences in London and a tooth less

John Methew May 8, 2012 at 15:42

i m runnig AVG, and i want to know kaspersky is better than AVG ?

Nikolay May 9, 2012 at 10:29

It shoud be better, but it is not free. And if you are buying, just get Norton, because it is better. Check this: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2369749,00.asp
Nikolay recently posted… Popular Chat Shortcuts And Acronyms

Nancy May 14, 2012 at 18:34

I really think rather than trying out new things we should go for Original antiviruses.

Salman May 15, 2012 at 11:22

I am gonna use this in my PC. Thank u very much.

Alan Smith May 26, 2012 at 06:23

Sometimes, free virus protection software fails to protect our PC from the virus especially like torjan but I hope that it will not to do the same.