He has looked into 42,000 ISP’s to find “the bad neighborhood” on the Internet. It turns out that just 20 ISP’s account for half of all spam e-mails being sent. One of them has even specialized in spam or phishing.
Most of the bad ISP’s are located in countries such as Iran, India and Russia. The worst ISP is Spectranet from Nigeria, where 62% of all their users e-mail addresses are used to send spam.
According to BBC, the research has also shown that most phishing attacks originates from ISP’s in USA, while spammers prefer ISP’s in Asia, especially India.
So basically, by just blocking 20 of the bad ISP’s, one is able to remove about half of all spam. Obviously, some legit e-mail might get caught in the middle and blocked as well.
Below are the 20 most spam spreading Internet Services Providers in the world:
- Spectranet (Nigeria)
- SC Media Sud (Romania)
- OJSC Megafon (Russia)
- Udyog Vihar (India)
- Speedclick for ITC (Palestine)
- NetStream Technology (Palestine)
- Orange Cameroun (Cameroun)
- MTC KSA Mobile (Saudi Arabia)
- Dade Pardazi Novin Yaran Tosei (Iran)
- Behkoush Rayaneh Afzar (Iran)
- Uzbektelecom (Uzbekistan)
- Tata Indicom (India)
- Delta Telecom (Russia)
- Hesabgar Pardaz Gharb (Iran)
- CJSC Kuban (Russia)
- E-14 Roopjat Nagar (India)
- Saudinet (Saudi Arabia)
- 001 IT Complex (India)
- Gostaresh Ertebarat Mabna (India)
- Chandra Net (India)