Tired of spending way too much money on phone bills every month? Well, there’s good news! Now, you can enjoy local and long distance calls for little or no money at all thanks to the convergence of Wi-Fi technology and VOIP technology. VOIP has been around for quite some time now. Simply put, it is the technique of transmitting voice and multimedia from one IP address to another via the internet. A perfect example where the benefits of VOIP are leveraged is the use of Nortel Symposium software in call centres. Here, VoIP solutions are used to deliver reliable services in an efficient and cost-effective manner.
Just like connecting to a wired LAN, VOIP can be used with Wi-Fi too. Here, instead of having several wires connected to the various machines, there is a wireless router connected to an Analog Telephone Adapter (ATA).
So, what’s the big deal about using VOIP through Wi-Fi? The biggest advantage, of course, is the increased mobility and flexibility. It is the ideal option for those who are always on the move as it helps them make VOIP calls to anywhere in the world at a cheaper rate. As a result of which they can avoid paying huge phone bills. Owing to these benefits, the use of VOIP through Wi-Fi has gained so much popularity nowadays.
VOIP through Wi-Fi allows phones to function seamlessly even when there is no network connectivity. All you need is to be connected to the Wi-Fi. VOIP uses Wi-Fi technology to work on devices like a PDA or a laptop. Since you only need to install one network, there is a considerable reduction in cabling required which means fewer devices and switch ports, as well as lower energy costs. VOIP through Wi-Fi is a great option for businesses and organizations because it offers more reliable and consistent network coverage indoors at a lower cost.
To run VOIP from a wireless connection, you could
- Use a modified wireless router
- Use an ethernet wireless bridge
- Use windows internet connection, sharing with the help of a wireless adapter
- Use a wireless VOIP phone
To get the maximum benefits out of VOIP over Wi-Fi, there are few things to be considered such as the following:
- Increase the number of access points to handle a large amount of traffic.
- Make sure that you know how to configure your connections. By measuring the various network attributes such as gap density, prioritization of traffic, jitter, service quality, and burst density, you can improve the quality of calls.
- Make the wireless coverage available throughout the building by eliminating holes in areas like elevators.
- Optimize the visibility of your Wi-Fi network by using the proper tools for analysis.
- Minimize downtime by configuring your Wi-Fi network to reroute traffic whenever required. By implementing automation, you can minimize network issues.
Reliability, consistency, and predictability are the most important features of using VOIP through Wi-Fi. However, the quality of calls will depend on a number of factors such as the roaming options, jitter caused by environment interferences, quality of the device, and quality of service. The technology of VOIP over Wi-Fi networks is continuing to develop at a fast rate and by implementing this technology, businesses can reap the benefits of improved productivity, mobility, and substantial savings in money.
Image source: https://getvoip.com/library/wifi-voip-phone/