When businesses employ creative strategies to improve customer engagement, user experience becomes more dynamic and interactive. One such way to boost customer engagement is by maximizing the use of push notifications and data analytics.
Apps send push notifications to users to suggest or remind them of actions they need to do. While others may find these push notifications vexing, these can be quite useful not only to customers but also to the company itself.
Whether it’s on mobile or desktop, email applications send push notifications to inform the user of new messages they’ve received. Video streaming apps provide updates on new videos uploaded by content creators that users have subscribed to. Other streaming services send suggestions to users which TV show or film they can watch next depending on their watch history.
How Push Notifications Can Be Useful to Your Business
For businesses, developing a better understanding of mobile push notifications can optimize marketing strategies and improve business operations. Doing so will bring positive influences to the brand.
Push notifications can help digital marketers recognize customers’ purchasing preferences by collecting relevant and accurate customer data. In a competitive global market, a more personalized approach to advertising can result in putting out content that satisfies the needs of customers. With this technique, app engagement increases by at least 88%.
How to Gain Accurate Customer Data from Push Notifications
- Know the target audience and demographics. When users sign up, they have the choice to provide their age and birthday. Using push notifications, you can ask them to answer surveys in exchange for deals and discounts. This way, the app can gather relevant customer data such as gender and location that can help improve services.
Aside from personal information, surveys can ask users about their interests. For instance, when they select their favorite brands, they can receive exclusive deals and offers.
- Use the right copy and format to present the value of push notifications. A soft-sell approach is always better than traditional and aggressive marketing practices. With the right copy and right format, you can convey the value of push notifications to users.
If they opt-in for push notifications, you can tell them all the benefits they can receive, as well as the things they’d be missing if they didn’t. You can convince them to opt-in through unique discounts or upgraded features. Be creative with how you do it: you can use emojis, add pictures, or make pop culture references. Use a natural approach to avoid getting your users annoyed.
- Provide different notification options. Most users tinker with app settings to customize what kind of notifications they want to receive. With this, you can provide a variety of notification options to users, such as the frequency, time, and platform. Users can choose between mobile push notifications or email notifications.
Additionally, the customization setting can also be a way to ask users for additional information such as email address or mobile number. This will give them a more tailored experience, and they can also receive incentives or personal discounts for the information they input. Reassure them by being transparent with your company’s data retention policy.
- Be mindful of user’s locations and time zones. The data that customers provide upon sign-up, download, or visit can automatically trigger notifications. It’s wise to be mindful of customer location, time zone, and day-to-day activities.
Make sure that the push notifications are not disruptive but are instead supportive. The timing of these is crucial in collecting more information later on.
- Offer users high quality and high-value content. The best approach you can use is to offer your users with high-value content that’s presented in a fun, casual manner. Try to get users excited in clicking these push notifications.
When they believe that push notifications add value to their lives, they will agree more and engage more with other campaigns you put out. Earn the trust of users by proving that the content you put out is valuable to their needs.
- Make sure that push notifications highlight the marketing campaigns that interest them most. When users are convinced that push notifications bring value to their lives, you will be able to see which marketing campaigns have piqued their interest.
The metadata that comes with this includes the type of campaign they viewed, age range or location of users who opened the notification the most, the products they’ve seen, what they saved for later, which people they’ve tagged on social media, and many more actions.
The bottom line is that push notifications can be an effective way to get to know your user demographic more and better understand how they engage with your products and services.
Keep in mind that you must strike a balance between being persuasive and assertive when it comes to convincing users to opt-in for notifications. Relevant messages and strategic timings are the keys to successful marketing campaigns.