Preamble, this content consists of configuring Wired Properties of the computer to have the system’s proper functioning over the network. The configuration is necessary to create a smooth path for a system to operate without any issues. Following this, we need to have a proper setup of IP and TCP for the system’s smooth functioning. For example, a transfer of mail from one person to another. Consequently, first, let’s have a look into some basics related to IP and TCP.
What is IP & TCP?
Types of IP addresses
Combinations of both IP and TCP
Methods to find the IP address.
Configuring ip/TCP properties on the computer
What is IP & TCP?
TCP stands for Transmission Control Protocol. As the name specifies, TCP’s role is to configure and transmit data to the specified address. It ensures the accurate data reaches the receiver. Many application transformation processes use TCP. It works as an intermediate between a program and a protocol. TCP works as an error checking mechanism, which is essential to ensure the error-free delivery of the data. In TCP, we cannot expect the speed for the data to reach the defined destination. But UDP provides I speed for the data transfer.
IP stands for Internet Protocol.
This IP address is a ubiquitous identifier for every system using a network. Obtains the address to which the data has to be sent and received, which is generally represented in dotted decimal notation. Not only systems have an IP address, but also other gadgets having network connection will have an IP address for a smooth communication purpose. An IP address can be changed manually to ensure safety.
Types of IP address:
- Static IP address
- Dynamic IP address
Static IP address:
This type of address does not change unless it is manually changed.
Dynamic IP address:
This type of address will change continuously, depending upon the DHCP configurations. When an active address is compared with static, it is safer because of the IP address changes.
Combinations Of Both IP & TCP
A set of rules and procedures together is the combination of TCS & IP. The difference between TCP & IP is IP obtains the address, whereas TCP transfers and receives data using the retrieved IP address. Therefore, these two combinations serve as a flyover between a sender and a receiver. It makes the job easier within a fraction of seconds. Hence the combination of these types of protocols is called Ethernet.
Methods To Find The IP Address:
To find IP address on Window:
- Click on the start option on the Windows desktop.
- Enter cmd in the search box, and A command prompt will be displayed on the screen.
- Enter ” ipconfig /all. “
To find IP address on Mac:
- In the Mac system, click on the apple icon.
- Select ” system preferences.”
- Click on the ” Network” pane.
- Thus an IP address is now visible on the tab.
To find IP address on Linux:
- open the command prompt on the Linux available
- Enter “ip address” thus, and you will get your IP address.
Configuring IP/TCP Properties On Computer:
Setting on Windows XP :
Configuration Windows may vary depending upon the options of the version installed. The steps are given below for setting Windows XP.
- Open windows click on ➡️ the start menu.
- Select-control panel
- Click on the network and the internet.
- Network and sharing center
- Click on change adapter settings.
- Right-click on local area connection and left click on properties
- Internet Protocol version 4 (TCP/Ipv4) and select properties.
- To apply the manual configuration, select ➡️ Use the following IP address.
- Now, enter the IP address, subnet mask, default gateways.
- Click, ok button to save the changes.
Configuring on Windows Vista:
- Click, start button on the taskbar.
- Select-control panel.
- As the control panel box appears, select network and internet available on the left Column.
- Post that click on the network and sharing center and select manage network connection.
- Now, you will get to see the local area connection. Have a right-click on it and select the properties from the options available.
- On the connection, the property window clicks on the Internet Protocol version 4 (TCP/Ipv4). Now click on the properties.
- Select the Use the following IP address automatically and follow the procedure as same as Window.
Configuring IP address on Mac:
- Click on the apple icon visible on the Mac desktop.
- A system preference tab will appear on the screen.
- Select “network” from the screen.
- Select the Ipv4 and click on the option “manually.”
- Enter the IP address and also the subnet mask.
- Now click, ok button to save the changes.
In general, the configuration can be done on any os versions installed. But the procedure to the configuring may depend on the options available on the settings or options available on that version itself. Hence, have a thorough glance at the options available in your version.
For more tech guides, click here.