Presently, one of the biggest challenges that enterprises face is management of the large amounts of the diverse content accurately so that it can be retrieved with ease when needed. Enterprises require a feature rich and flexible software which will help them do that and SharePoint offers exactly that.
Let’s dig into the details of this. But now that you’re already here, why don’t you go through these useful and information packed articles about call center optimization and use of data analytics for smart energy industry.
What’s Enterprise Content Management (ECM)?
You may get the jest from the term itself, but ECM refers to the management of the whole life cycle of an organizations’ content. It is also known as record or document management. The content can include word, excel, pdf files, images and videos.
The basic goal of ECM is to improve productivity, efficiency, customer service and reduce risks. This is done by eliminating paper-based tasks and improving visibility of processes.
The Point of SharePoint
SharePoint is a web-based platform where business teams make use of its list databases, web parts, security features and workflow applications to work together. It gives companies the ability to automate processes and control access to information.
SharePoint can help you streamline content management in various ways as follows:
Management of Documents
- SharePoint offers its users a centralized storage where documents are stored structurally so that they can be easily retrieved and shared.
- It also lets you manage metadata by creating groups for better organization of documents in the storage.
- SharePoint also allows co-authoring of documents, meaning that several authors can edit one document at the same time. This accelerates productivity.
- SharePoint provides its uses various levels of access to information from read-only to full control.
- It leaves an audit trail about who edited, copied and shared a document through its whole lifecycle.
Management of Digital Assets
- The SharePoint has optimized libraries for management of graphic, video and audio content. It offers features that make it easy to view and access desired information.
- The built-in media capability of this software lets you paly videos and audios from intranet, team sites, publishing sites etc.
Management of Records
- Capabilities such as encryption, two factor authentication and prevention of data loss make SharePoint repositories secure.
- SharePoint has retention and deletion policies depending upon compliance regulations that a company is bound to. After that period the files will be deleted.
- It also offers its users an eDiscovery center, where you can easily identify and deliver electronic information for use as evidence.
Management of Web Content
- SharePoint offers its users easy-to-use templates for creation and publication of web content.
- It helps you save money, thanks to its flexibility. You can use the templates to develop internet, extranet and intranet sites.
SharePoint offers enterprises a wide range of toolsets when it comes to content management. It comes with built-in record management and templates for creating sites. It allows you to access extensive information fast and in a secure way.
Automatic multimedia cataloging and integration of multiple file types are other interesting features of this software. If you are looking for ECM solution then you better give SharePoint a try.