1 – Don’t get fooled by easy money trick
Spamming users with lottery scam or promoting a product which so called can help you make five figures a month are all outdated easy money trick. Let’s get straight that earning money is not easy and we should no longer fall for this trick in the year 2011. If you happen to see any of this email in the future, do yourself a favor by thrashing the email right away after reading the title.
2 – Centralizing is only good for convenience
What I mean here is sharing a single password across all your online accounts is only good for convenience sake and score ZERO for security. Even if you have more than 10 online accounts, that should not give you an excuse to use a single password for all. Same goes to the excuse where you easily forget password. The solution to those excuses is not to use a single password but to use password management software instead. Recently I stumbled across a cloud based password management called LastPass which is free and I highly recommend everyone to at least take a look at it.
3 – Don’t fall into ‘Warning’ at first sight
You can fall in love at first sight but should not fall for security warning at first sight. There are plenty of internet threats today that tell you the number of infections in your computer which you do not have. The idea is to trick you into purchasing a bogus anti malware which basically does nothing. So the whole idea is to earn your money by scaring you. Be sure you investigate the threat carefully from time to time and most importantly, don’t panic.
4 – Make Virus Total your best friend
Virus Total had helped my life in security for a lot of times and I had made it my best friend. Whenever I have any incoming URL or file from anonymous user, I will go through Virus Total’s approval before executing it. It has more than 40 antivirus engines to scan your file or URL and because of that, I find the result trustable.
5 – Don’t click! Type yourself
When you have an incoming link, don’t make the smart move by clicking it in the first place. Links can redirect you to phishing site or even malicious site. You should always ensure that the incoming links are legitimate by copying the URL out to have a look. It is even better if you can use your keyboard to type the URL to access the site that you wanted to go. This will eliminate most of the malicious URL trick.
6 – Abandon the outdated
Outdated software, plugins, and operating system should be patched or ditched if it cannot be patched any further. Especially to the users who are still using Internet Explorer 6, that old web browser should be completely ditched since it is capable of being exploited easily. Adobe flash player, Adobe reader and Java Runtime Environment should be patched from time to time as these plugins are favorite target for hacker to make use of for penetrating one’s security.
7 – Stay tuned
No matter how hard security vendors worked, they can only cover 80% of your security. The remaining 20% relies on your initiative to learn about the latest threat. Every threat has its own solution where there isn’t really a universal solution to all threats. As a result, we should all stay updated to the latest security news and you can refer to The Security Blog where it is a compilation of security news from most of the famous security vendors and security researchers.