Email has long ceased to be a simple messaging service, as was its original intention. Soon after its inception, it also played a role in file sharing. Albeit nowadays there are more convenient ways to do the latter, email somehow still remains a necessary communication tool.
What is the thing that first comes to mind when someone mentions email in 2019? Younger people will think of notifications, and business owners of marketing campaigns. Curiously enough, the email service of today is the faster revenue generator. How come?
Email subscriptions and newsletters are all the rage these days. Their incessant evolution is impossible to follow, with both businesses and customers constantly learning to keep up.
Every business owner knows the value of email campaigns. Therefore, the once simple matter of setting up business emails has become somewhat of an art of late. Let us guide you through the process.
The Choice of Business Email Address
It is true that many small businesses rely heavily on generic addresses (Gmail and Yahoo, e.g.), but this is not necessarily the best way to start. Although many of those popular services offer redirection, professional email addresses still have their own benefits.
The choice of the type of email service provider is closely linked to the type of the audience you are trying to reach. Further, keep in mind your business’ projected growth. You may be starting with a couple of customers, but the situation is likely to face the upward trend soon, if you do things the right way.
Another factor to keep in mind is the number of addresses you’ll need. Keep in mind, however, that not every aspect of a business needs multiple addresses. I.e., for customer support, the generic [email protected]_business.com will suffice, although different people will be accessing it.
The Choice of Email Service Provider
Email service providers (ESP) broadly cover three categories: free email service providers, web hosting providers and online office suites.
- Free email service providers
Free email service providers are a popular choice, with the biggest names in the game being Gmail and Yahoo. Small- to medium-sized businesses often opt for them, since they offer forwarding and redirections. They are convenient because they allow for handling both business and private messages in one centralized location.
- Web hosting providers
Web hosting providers may be a good choice, because they offer various packages to suit everyone’s needs. The only catch with them would be to mind the storage space limit.
- Online office suites
Online office suites are popular choices for businesses, because they offer an unlimited number of email addresses and are accompanied with a fair number of benefits (such as video conferencing). Most popular suites are WorkMail, Office 365 and Google Apps for Work.
How to Choose the Best ESP
Albeit there’s no general advice to suit every business’ needs, there are certain factors that will help you make the best choice. These usually start with a couple of simple answers, notably:
- How many email addresses will you need at the present moment and in the future?
- Do you use transactional emails (or plan to start using them)?
- Do you use personalization?
- Do you use dynamic content?
- What type of segmentation would suit you?
When you know your answers, check ESPs. The following factors must not be overlooked:
- Deliverability and authentication
- Email automation
- List Management
The Importance of Email Marketing
E-commerce is the future, and every serious business knows that. The statistics don’t lie, and here are some stunning figures to show you just how important setting up business email properly truly is:
- 77 percent of marketers use email services to send personalized content
- 67 percent of marketers use big data for personalization
- 66 percent of marketers use personalized email campaigns
- 65 percent of marketers swear dynamic emails are the key to personalization
- 64 percent of marketers use mobile-optimized designs
- 61 percent of consumers prefer brands contacting them via email
As for email marketing campaigns, here are the latest stats:
- Email campaigns generate six times more revenue than other email types (75 percent)
- Email campaigns generate 152 percent higher click-through rates
- Email campaigns generate 50 percent conversion rates for B2C companies
- B2B marketing automation systems increase revenues by 60 percent per annum
- Email campaigns generate eight times more clicks than other emails
- Reach the auditorium in 70.5 percent cases
Everything considered, it is safe to conclude that emails are far more important than just a means of communication in the big interconnected world of today. Businesses both large and small rely on continually, and judging by the aforementioned statistics, the practice is only to get stronger.
Therefore, when setting up your email for e-commerce success, it is crucial that you choose the right ESP. Don’t think twice whether to opt for a paid solution if it would suit your business needs best, for e-commerce will make it worth it.